Amidst the slight chaos of the glittery festive season, our annual Concerts by Candlelight tour offers moments of stillness, contemplation, and a beautiful musical adventure.
In awe-inspiring churches and cathedrals across Scotland, the warm glow of candlelight illuminates vibrant compositions. This year we are particularly excited to present a brand-new work by Glasgow-based composer David Fennessy, the first instalment of a two-part commission featuring across our 2023- 24 season. Alongside David’s atmospheric offering, we will hear a huge range of atmospheric writing, including works by Johann Sebastian Bach, Philip Glass and Caroline Shaw.
When hundreds of people listen together, there is a special kind of hushed calm, so join us for an evening of music to comfort the soul and bolster the spirit.
Our new work from David Fennessy was made possible thanks to a transformative donation made in memory of our late founder John Calder. The Calder Commissioning Fund will enable us to invest in new work for years to come and we are deeply grateful to Sheila Colvin for investing in the future of our music-making.
- Performance includes...
- Dani Howard
Heads or Tails
- Arvo Pärt
- Johann Sebastian Bach (arr. Jonathan Morton)
Der Tag der ist so freudenreich
- John Tavener
- Joanna Marsh (arr. Azkoul)
In Winter’s House
- David Fennessy
New Work (world premiere)
- Thu 7 December 7:30 pmAberdeen St. Machar’s Cathedral
- Fri 8 December 7:30 pmInverness Inverness Cathedral
- Sat 9 December 7:30 pmDundee Dundee Parish Church (St Mary’s)
- Mon 11 December 7:30 pmPerth St. John’s Kirk
- Tue 12 December 7:30 pmEdinburgh Greyfriars Kirk
- Wed 13 December 7:30 pmGlasgow Wellington Church